Our beloved Herreshoff Eagle is for sale. The Eagle is a design of Halsey Herreshoff and was built in Bristol, RI by Nowak and Williams in 1974. The Eagle shares the same hull as the Herreshoff America catboat but is a gaff-rigged sloop with a topsail. The LOA is 22’ including bowsprit and rudder; length on deck is 18’.
We purchased the boat in 2012 from her third owner. Until that time she was exclusively a freshwater boat and was in excellent shape structurally. We did a thorough restoration and have used the boat for summer daysailing and weekending in Boston Harbor, Massachusetts Bay, and Cape Cod.
All lines lead to the cockpit for ease of handling. The jib is self tacking. Boom gallows and lazy jacks help with mainsail handling. A topsail adds power in light air and adds to the classic appearance of the boat.
This Eagle is in excellent condition, is ready to sail as-is this summer, and is a real beauty. She turns heads and receives smiles and thumbs up everywhere she goes.
- Original bronze hardware throughout except for new, stronger bronze rudder hardware and chainplates.
- Sails are in good condition with light wear. They were new when we bought the boat in 2012. They should be good for many more years of sailing.
- All running rigging was replaced with color-coded Sta-set double-braid in 2012. Standing rigging was replaced in 2015.
- 2012 Tohatsu 6hp manual outboard is hidden in a motor well with two 3-gallon fuel tanks and an external water-separating fuel filter.
- Custom green Sunbrella cushions in the cockpit and cabin. Matching sail covers.
- The cabin sleeps two comfortably. Dropboards and extra cushions turn the cockpit into a large double berth for sleeping under the stars in good weather.
- Brightwork is in good condition and features genuine 22k gold leaf filigree.
- Draft is 18” with the centerboard up and 4’ with board down. Centerboard cable was replaced in 2019.
- Two Group 27 deep cycle batteries (new in 2018) under the cockpit provide enough house power for up to a week of cruising. An onboard shore power charger plugs in at the dock. (There is a solar charge controller on board, but we never added a solar panel because charging at the dock has always been sufficient for our needs.)
- The helm has been upgraded with hydraulic steering. This arrangement allows for easy maintenance access to the four-stroke outboard which otherwise would not fit properly in a motor well designed for smaller 2 cycle engines .
- The galley features a salt water tap operated by foot pump and a pressurized freshwater tap on a variable speed electric pump. There is a 10 gallon water tank under the cockpit with deck fill and carbon block filter.
- New electrical system features custom-made backlit switches, DC outlets in the cockpit and cabin, LED cabin lighting, LED navigation lights, and an AC inverter.
- Comes with a heavy, galvanized long-tongue trailer with keel rollers. Bunks are on screw jacks for easy launching. Hitch is for 2” ball. Sealed LED lights with 4-pin connector. Tires were replaced in 2015 and are in good condition.
- Two-zone Bluetooth stereo with subwoofer. Separate volume controls for cockpit and cabin.
- Aluminum mast with custom hinge. An a-frame jig and electric winch (included) make mast stepping a breeze on the trailer or on the water. It takes about 15 minutes to set up the system. Then just step back and use the wireless remote control to raise or lower the mast effortlessly in about 30 seconds. We have a YouTube video showing how easy it is: https://youtu.be/B_DJwkYnx-s
- Ground tackle includes 200’ of rode, 25’ of chain, and a Danforth anchor.
- Includes a full set of fenders and dock lines with rubber snubbers.
- Electronics include a Raymarine depth sounder and a Standard Horizon VHF (with integrated GPS and AIS receivers) in the cabin and a remote RAM3 mic in the cockpit.
- Comes with a complete set of laminated rigging instructions and diagrams. All lines and hardware are carefully labeled with instructions.
Contact Rob or Joe at 781-444-0627 (work number) or by email at email@example.com.
The boat currently sits on her trailer in Needham, MA and can be seen any time/any day. Just call or email in advance to set up an appointment. (For maximum safety in these times of covid-19, we are keeping intervals of at least 72 hours between appointments.)